The slimline PVR5 Sky DRX890w Sky box is the entry level PVR from Sky but is by far the most common Sky box purchased. This is probably due to several reasons...
A couple of the more common questions we get asked...
- The 500Gb hard drive allows you to use 250Gb for personal storage, this for the majority of Sky customers is plenty as it allows you to record approximately 185 hours of standard definition TV or 60 hours of high definition TV, or obviously a combination of the two.
- The remaining 250Gb is reserved by Sky for services such as Sky Anytime, Video on Demand and 3D Services, exactly the same as all current PVR models.
- All Sky boxes including this one are now manufactured by Sky, this makes the DRX890w much more reliable than previous models as Sky have far more control over the quality of the components used than ever before. The DRX890w has the lowest return rate due to failure than any other current model.
- It's far cheaper than the larger capacity HD box yet it performs just as well (if not better due to reliability), all the functions are the same, you're simply paying for extra storage on the more expensive model, nothing else.
- It runs very cool and quiet, much more so than previous models.
- Can I replace my current standard non recording Sky box with this one? Yes you can. If you currently have a standard box you can either continue to use just the single feed from your dish and turn on "Single Feed Mode" from within the services menu, or run a second cable from the dish to the box. If you decide to stick with just the one feed you will lose some functionality such an recording two programs at the same time. Ideally, you would get a second cable installed to enjoy the full benefits of Sky+.
- I currently have the older white Sky+ box, will changing to this box affect my subscription or setup? No, as you already have Sky+ you will already have two feeds from the dish, this means you can simply take the existing Sky+ box out and replace it with this Sky+HD version, the only time anything will change is if you want to add the HD Mix to your contract, if so Sky will increase your subscription by £10.25pm (Please Note: This is not compulsory as these are non-subsidised boxes).
- Do I need a subscription to record? Unfortunately yes, a Sky+HD box will only record with at least the minimum subscription from Sky.
- Do I need to upgrade to the HD Mix to watch HD channels? If you want to watch all the available HD channels currently broadcast on your particular package then the answer is yes, if however you want to watch the free HD channels such as BBC1 HD, BBC HD, ITV1 HD, CH4 HD and FIVE HD etc then you don't need to pay any extra.
- I don't have a HD TV, can I still use it? Yes you can, the DRX890w can be connected using either a HDMI cable, a Scart Cable or even the normal coaxial RF cable.